Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thanksgiving: Playing for Change

Happy Thanksgiving!

I said a lot of what I have to say about the holiday last year. Short version: as a national holiday, it is problematic, but as a day to take stock and pause to be personally thankful, it's essential. I am one fortunate son of a bitch, and what I have been given (especially because I don't really deserve any of it) means I have an obligation to give and to share.

This year, we could all use a little pick me up, so here's Playing for Change.

You probably remember that one video you saw at some point, but you may not realize that Playing for Change, an initiative to create beautiful and uplifting music with musicians that literally span the globe, has kept right on chugging along to over 100 videos. I'm going to share some of my own favorites with you, but I recommend browsing the entire library.

In a world where such beautiful and joyful moments of art can be created, I have to believe that hope can stay alive. And yes-- if you dig, you'll find that the foundation behind this has accepted Walton money and has provided support for school music programs, both public and charter, in many countries. Enjoy the music anyway.
















1 comment: