Saturday, July 23, 2016

David Coleman (7/23)

I am on a two-week vacation, driving cross-country with my wife to spend time with family in Seattle. In my absence, I have dug into the archives and pulled up some reruns for you. Though what I most suggest is that you check out the blogroll on the right side of the page. There are some outstanding bloggers, and if there are some folks you've never sampled, there's no day like today.

Why is Coleman one of my least favorite reformsters? It could be that it's my subject area that he saw fit to clobber with his big fat amateur hands. It could be his astonishing hubris; not many people feel entitled to rewrite an entire nation's education system (even though nobody asked them to) and to do it without ever acknowledging anyone else's work. Or the way he's taken the SAT and made it even worse. Of course, nobody really gives a shit what I think anyway.

David Coleman Is Superman

Coleman goes to Aspen to explain how awesome he is!

What David Coleman Doesn't Know About Literature

In his essay "Cultivating Wonder," Coleman provides some terrible advice and examples for actual teachers of literature.

David Coleman To Fix Inequality in America

That time Coleman announced that he would use his gig as big boss of the College Board to end social injustice, because he's just that good (and not because he's marketing a test).

Coleman's Double Disconnect

Getting at what exactly seems so off about Coleman's approach to ELA

Coleman's Master Plan

In a 2011 speech, Coleman laid out where he thought he was headed with all this reform stuff.

Coleman's CCSS Writing Style

Coleman explains how to write. It's not pretty.

David Coleman Speaks Out (sort of)

When launching his new SAT, Coleman did plenty of press, so I thought it would be fun to just hear him explain the whole mess himself. Well, almost his own voice. I might have paraphrased a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment