Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Happy Curmudgabirthday

Today marks the four-year anniversary of the first post on this blog. I wish I could say it shows early signs of promise, but it took a while to hit any kind of stride here. It also took the help of readers to root out a million typos as well as reconsidering some bold design choices (when this blog premiered, it was white font on black background).

There are more people than I can safely name to thank for supporting the blog (which is rapidly approaching the five million reads mark). I have taken a great deal of inspiration from other writers, and I owe all my readership to the people who found it worthwhile to pass on what they read here. Diane Ravitch, the Badass Teachers, Anthony Cody, Nancy Flanagan, Jennifer Berkshire, Jose Luis Vilson and a whole bunch of early followers who (probably knowingly) nudged me forward on this path. It helped me turn this from a place where I just vent spleen to a place where I could. hopefully, help clarify some issues and make some more sense of the ongoing public education debate. It has also been my great privilege to pass along other voices that deserve to be heard, just as others passed me along.

The most frequent question I get is "How do you write so much?" I still don't have a good answer beyond "low standards." It also turns out to be like the answer to "Twins! How do you do it?" You just do, because you have to. There's a lot that needs to be said. I'm going to keep trying to say as much of it as I can.

I'm grateful for this opportunity, and humbled that  folks are still reading. Thank you-- and keep standing up for public education.


Waiting for my book deal.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing! I appreciate the information, even if I find it discouraging at times....often.

    Love the pic. Maybe your twins will be writers too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to the blog, and thank you from a grateful reader. This is *such* important work. You must sometimes feel like a 9th century monk trying to preserve the glories of civilization from the dark hordes of corporate "reform" and libertarians bent on dismantling the government (because really, what is "civil society" anyway but an excuse to hobble the excellent in the service of mediocrities?) Keep on scribing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only 4 years? Seems like I've been depending on my daily fix of Curmie for so much longer! Thanks, Peter, for serving up humor and outrage in equal measure. (Good thing you didn't tag those names on your babies!)

    Christine Langhoff

    ReplyDelete