Sunday, April 13, 2014

Five Best Positive Posts

Even though this blog is mostly about the spleen ventage, I do make it a point to remember the Good Parts, too. So here, for your Sunday night (or Monday morning or Wednesday afternoon or whenever your Up could use some Pickme), here are the five most positive posts from Curmudgucation (so far). I know that irony is often my stock and trade, but for these posts, I'm not kidding!

Why American Public Education Is Worth the Fight
American public education is one of the most awesome institutions created in the history of human civilization. It deserves our love and affection and protection  precisely because it is such a wonderful expression of what makes us great as a people.

Should I Be a Teacher?
I never quite understand why everyone doesn't want to be a teacher. But nowadays there seems to be some question, even among people who are drawn to it. And certainly it's a scary world for teacher these days. Here's how to know if it's for you!

Should I Quit?
In the era of the public resignation letter, it's no surprise that many of us struggle with the question of leaving the profession. I faced my own dark night, though it came before the Age of Reformy Stuff. I stayed. Here's why.

Evaluating That
It's only been a couple of months since #evaluatethat had its day as a big hashtag. It was a great reminder of what teachers do, and why we should watch each others' backs. In fact, as soon as I finish this, I think I'll go on twitter and look through those tweets again.

I Love My Job (Seriously)
There are days when I think you run the risk of being called crazy if you admit that you love what you do. But I love what I do. I love this job. Even in these struggly times, I love my job. I know I'm lucky not to be in the thick of the worst of it, but I guess what I can do is send word to those of you on the front lines that you memory isn't playing tricks on you-- teaching really is one of the greatest jobs in the world.


1 comment:

  1. Let the politicians know just how strongly you feel about the CC testing madness that has enveloped our public schools like a toxic cloud. The powers that be will only act if their power is threatened. This is a political battle, pure and simple. They have the CA$H but we have the numbers

    Easier than you might expect.

    In 36 hours, 1,760 letters/emails have been sent to Washington DC by outraged parents and educators from all across the country. Read their comments and add your own feelings and experiences. There is a map that shows the distribution of signees when you mouse-over each state.

    I just started this at Petition2Congress yesterday morning. It is very easy to sign, copies are automatically sent to President Obama, and your own senators and your House representative. Please take the time to read and sign the petition entitled:
    STOP COMMON CORE TESTING.
    Thank you.

    http://www.petition2congress.com/15080/stop-common-core-testing/?m=5265435

    ReplyDelete